Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Art of Communication

When was the last time you wrote a letter? An actual letter that you put a stamp on the envelope, and dropped into the mailbox to send good tidings to a friend miles away?

If you're like me, it was a long time ago!

There is a certain joy that one gets when they open up their mailbox and pull out a letter or a card from someone who is thinking of them. It always put a smile on my face, and it's a heck of a lot better than getting all bills and junk mail!

What about an email?  When was the last time you wrote an actual email where you updated your friend on what's going on in your life? When was the last time YOU received an email from a friend who just wanted to say hello?

Writing letters now seem archaic and the art of emailing is falling by the side of the road as well. We have convinced ourselves that just don't have time, so instead we send a Facebook post, a Tweet, or a text (which by the way, allows our spelling, punctuation OR grammar to go down the toilet...another post for another day).

All communication is an art for sure, and many people have lost it. Everything has become short and impersonal, and without a whole lot of thought. It's time to get that art form back.

While there seems to be no redemption for the "old way" of expressing your thoughts by putting a pen and writing a letter, there is no reason why emails can't be brought back into the limelight of communication. It is still a relevant technology, and anyone can do it - even if the don't have a fancy schmancy smartphone.

So I propose a challenge. Get back into emailing. Put some thought into it. It will allow you to keep in touch with your friends, and when they right back, you'll experience that same joy that you used to get opening your mailbox at the end of the driveway.

2 comments:

  1. The problem I see with emailing, is that I don't know anyone email address. Without Facebook, I don't even know how I would contact a whole bunch of people. An I'm not just talking about older friends I don't see anymore, I'm talking to people I see rather frequently. Just last weekend Andrea asked me to text a friend to tell them we were on the way to there house, and I replied I don't have her number! One time I had to look up my own nieces number on facebook. Just shows how reliant I (for one) have become on facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. right on with this one. also, kaj's point about facebook is interchangeable with a cell phone (or even home phone)--lose it and how many numbers do you not know? we rely so much on technology these days. imagine if the power goes out . . .

    ReplyDelete