Thursday, July 14, 2011

Open Season on Tourists

I'm from New England. That's really how I describe myself. I have lived in Mass, New Hampshire, Vermont and now Maine. In every state I've lived in, we've always had tourists and summer residents. People WANT to visit the states in which I lived. Isn't that a good thing? Doesn't that mean that the state you live in is a GREAT place to be?

It was not until I moved to Maine have I EVER seen such a pure hatred for these people. Now, I have caught myself cursing at them, (Yes, I know the lake is pretty, but do you realize the speed limit is 50??) and making fun of them (The Lexus double parked at the busy Dunkin's in Bridgton was my favorite). However, the reality is that if tourists didn't come to stay for the weekend, week, summer, whatever, this state - which is already ranked low on the economic scale - would die a slow death.

According to an article in the Bangor Daily News, the tourism industry forms one of the largest revenue generators ($15 billion) to the Maine economy. 15 BILLION DOLLARS!!! With the many paper mills and manufacturing plants closing down, what else is going to generate that kind of revenue? Can you imagine what the state would be like if it weren't for those tourists??

I know they are in the way. I know that they clog up our roads. They hold up traffic with their slower driving and rubbernecking. They buy out all the groceries and fill up their "summer camps" with "real Maine food." They do stupid things like buy a bundle of wood for $6. They take up two parking spaces so that no one will scratch their shiny Lexuses. They visit L.L. Bean and buy a $200 jacket because it's "authentically Maine." They talk down to us and treat us like we are all ignorant rednecks.

But let's face it. They also spend their money. And it's that money that helps this state run. So while they are here, try to grin and bear it. Take their money and run. And when they're gone, celebrate their vacancy and enjoy what they come from all over to experience - your home state.

1 comment:

  1. Good point. My only request for all these tourists it to slow the F down. I have a tendency to go about 5-10 over the speed limit so I'm not exactly innocent, but get tailgated as if i was going 10 under the speed limit. Some fly by me as if I'm driving in reverse. When in Rome flatlanders!

    ReplyDelete